• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google +

At the hospital

At the hospital - Annie Wheeler

This morning I had an appointment with a mortgage bad credit lender in West Island. I had scheduled it a few weeks back, while I was still employed. Back then, I had no idea that my company would downsize and let so many of us go. Yesterday, I received a phone call from this private lender, asking me if I was still interested in keeping my appointment. It was a sort of a friendly reminder that I was supposed to show up the following day. I guess no one likes to have his time wasted or being ditched. 

Unfortunately that’s exactly what I ended up doing. I wasted their time. Although I said that I would be there in the morning, I didn’t. Not because I didn’t wake up early or I did not wish to attend it. No. My daughter woke up in the middle of the night with a high fever. Seeing that it would not go down and she started to vomit, I took her to the hospital. I did not wish to take any risks.

There, we were seen by a nurse right away. She checked her, took her temperature, asked me when did the fever start and if she had any additional symptoms. Then she invited us to wait in the small examination room, saying that she would be back in couple of minutes. I waited close to one hour until I got tired of waiting and I walked out of the room, asking to have my child seen either by another nurse or a doctor.

Out of nowhere, the same nurse came close to me and asked me to calm down. She explained that the doctor was being caught up by a more severe case and he would be with us soon. Then she added that I could either wait in the same examination room or on the corridor. According to her, it was up to me. I was not sure what she meant by that last sentence. I could not figure it out if it was her subtle way of telling me that she would make me wait more on the corridor if I complain about the long wait...

Anyway, I returned to my daughter and saw that she had fallen asleep on the examination bed. I pulled a chair and sat close to her, ensuring she would not fall off. I covered her with her blanket and caressed her forehead, while listening to her sighs.

Ninety minutes later, a doctor came in. He asked me to wake her up. The moment I did, she started to cry. It turned out she got a viral infection and they wanted to keep her under observation for another few hours, to run some tests. We ended staying a full day in the hospital.


The author: